Formerly in railway ownership...
There are also lots of former railway buildings in Lincolnshire, that although now privately owned and not open to the
public, have been restored to 'railway condition'. Here are just a few locations (Details checked 6th November 2012);
The postcard above, posted in 1918, shows three properties in Sutton-on-Sea which are constructed from six former railway
carriage bodies. Earlier photos show that four of them were being used as camping coaches on site before being
converted into bungalows and a house. In 2012 the house was badly damaged by fire and its future may be in doubt.
Alford Station. The station building has recently been restored and incorporated into a builders merchants.
The Alford & Sutton tramway operated from 1884 to 1889. Its offices were at Argyle House in Alford. This is thought
to be the last remaining relic of the steam tramway and is now a private residence.
This view in Alford was probably taken on the open day of the tramway.
In Louth the Station Building has been divided and converted into residential properties. Louth North Signal Box has,
since this photo was taken, been restored and converted into a house.
The former station at Wragby has been converted into a private residence whilst restored externally to
British Rail condition.
Both station building and signal box remain, both sympathetically restored.
...at Burgh Le Marsh
This page last updated 1st February 2013.
Back to previous page.